Title: Connecting 2.0 Communities
Description: Advice and support for voluntary or community sector organisation, freelancer or creative who would like to know more about “digital technology”.
Start Time: 14:00
End Time: 18:30
About this event…
If you are a voluntary or community sector organisation, freelancer or creative who would like to know more about “digital technology” and how it can help your work or your organisation it can sometimes be difficult to know where to go for advice and support.
Yet Manchester has a wide range of digital communities – from programmers, to social media specialists to digital content producers – who meet up regularly to share good practice.
Connecting 2.0 Communities is a pilot event to give anyone in the not-for-profit sector an opportunity to meet these digital communities – many of whom are happy to provide free advice and support, and would like to work more with community groups.
Watch a video of the First Connecting 2.0 Communities event here.
What you will find out…
At this free to attend “drop in” event there will be an opportunity to :-
- get a one-to-one advice session about your own particular digital needs
- find out more about Manchester’s many “user groups” and informal meet-ups
- hear short introductions about key topics and about other opportunities in the city
Where and when does it take place…
Drop in any time after 2.00 – either stay for a short time, or stay all afternoon.
- 2.00-4.30 Drop in any time you want
- 4.30-5.30 Short Presentations(Details TBC)
- 5.30-5.45 Questions to the panel
- 5.45-6.30 Drop in Continues
Its a drop-in so you don’t have to book a place to attend, but if you do, we can send you an update on the lineup, and also you can let us know if you have any access requirements. The drop-in is on the ground floor of Madlab, but the presentations may take place on the 2nd floor and there is no lift, so please let us know if this is a problem so that we can make arrangements accordingly.
I can’t come for the whole event…
We’ve arranged the event to be as flexible as possible. If you want to come at 2.00 and stay all afternoon, or come at 6.00 for the last half hour that’s absolutely fine. The city centre location means that if you are passing through town after work then you can pop in. So don’t worry if you’re not able to come for the whole afternoon.
It sounds great, but I’m busy that day…
We will be running further Connecting 2.0 Communities events at Madlab in late November and late January.
Who will be attending?
We’ll have more details soon but here’s a taster.
- Manchester Digital Development Agency, offering advice and support on all aspects of digital Manchester
- Madlab, find out about this new “community space” for digital working
- Netsquared, networking events for the voluntary sector
- Social Media Cafe & Social Media Surgeries, find out more about these regular groups to help you use the social media more effectively.
- Voluntary sector digital organisations, learn more about what organisations there are that can help you out.
- WordPress experts – Manchester WordPress User Group takes place following this event – so there will be local wordpress enthusiasts on hand to talk through your problems.
- Geek Girls – events to encourage women in technology to get together
Need to find out more?
For more information contact Adrian Slatcher (email@example.com)
We’ve also set up a Connecting 2.0 Communities group on the Social Media Cafe Manchester Ning. We’ll add new resources here when they become available.
Who has organised it?
This event is funded by the Working Neighbourhoods Fund and run on behalf of Manchester City Council. It has been organised by Manchester Digital Development Agency in partnership with Manchester Digital Laboratory (MadLab). Many thanks to all the digital organisations who have agreed to attend to make this event happen.
WordPress User Group – follows on from the Connecting2.0Communities event on February 17th. Join the group here.
Social Media Cafe Manchester – March 2nd, Venue TBC. Join the Ning here.